Mowbray Bowling Club started shortly after the First World War, with a number of informal meetings organised by Messrs. A.B. Reid and P.J. Doherty, at which it was decided to form a bowling club. Steps had been taken by an informal committee to secure a suitable site with an adequate water supply.
A public meeting was called for the 15th May 1919, in the Mowbray Town Hall, at which MOWBRAY BOWLING CLUB was formed with donations totalling £200, received from three foundation members. The Cape Times and Argus Newspapers were informed of the formation of the Club.
Some highlights from over the years:
- One month later, on 30th July 1919, Mowbray Bowling Club became affiliated to the Western Province Bowling Association.
- During January 1920 Mowbray Bowling Club became affiliated to the South African Bowling Association
- During October 1920 the Ladies’ Section was formed, with the agreed subscription being 1 guinea compared to the Men’s subscription of 3 guineas per season. The ladies were to be allowed to play on Mondays and Fridays with the option of Saturdays after 3:30pm, should rinks be available.
- A spiked roller was purchased and better security measures proposed, following a spate of three burglaries in as many months, towards the end of 1936.
- During February and March 1950 the clubhouse was painted, inside and out, and the floor was stained. Two directing boards were made and erected, one at the intersection of Chapel and Main Roads and the other at the corner of Rhodes Avenue and Cecil Road. (These disappeared at some stage and were replaced in 1992 – but those have since disappeared as well.)
- In January 1958, the first fines-box was introduced and during March the Club’s sewerage system was connected to the water-borne system in Chapel Road.
- In 1963 three burglaries were experienced within a comparatively short period of time and security measures came under discussion.
- In 1965 the new clubhouse section was opened by Councillor G. Ferry.
- Still during 1965, the maximum membership for the Ladies’ Section was increased from 50 to 60 and a Scott-Bonnar mower was purchased at a cost of R572.
- During the 1985/86 season a new soil shed was erected and extensive repairs done to the roof of the clubhouse.
- In March 1991 the extension of Chapel Road to the Clubhouse, from the intersection with Cecil Road, was completed, as was a new , expanded parking area.
- An important stage in the club history was reached in March 1992 when a Special General Meeting voted to allow Lady Members fill membership with equal voting rights. The consitution was amended and the General Committee structure amended and these changes were approved at another Special General Meeting in May of that year.